We've adopted GraphQL for Braintree's next-generation API. We're offering the option to use this new API directly without a library.
We're using GraphQL because it's great for developers, partners, and merchants. GraphQL brings:
- A richly expressive open-source specification, maintained by a dedicated foundation.
- Schemas and types that strictly define valid requests and responses.
- Introspection, meaning you can ask any GraphQL API what it can do.
- Developer tools to ease learning and integration.
- The flexibility to specify exactly what data you care about, and retrieve only as much or as little data as needed.
- The efficiency of combining multiple traditional REST endpoints into one request.
- The freedom to use any programming language you want — and no more SDKs to manage and update on your server.
With GraphQL, we are enabling faster, safer, and more extensible integration of commerce capabilities into your product.
Status of the API
Our GraphQL API is in beta and currently supports basic server-side transaction processing. While it does not yet offer the full feature set that our server-side SDKs have, you can use it to:
- Charge payment methods
- Reverse and refund transactions
- Vault payment methods
- Look up transactions and payment methods by ID
We're hard at work adding more functionality. Keep an eye out for more features coming soon, such as transaction search and separate authorization and capture.
As this product is under development, the content on this site will change over time. However, we do not anticipate making any backwards-incompatible or breaking changes to the API as currently published.